Friday, March 22, 2019

Inside Community


Before I entered the monastery and lived in community, I thought I knew what it would be like. I’d lived a life where trying to nurture my inner self and my relationship with God was always significant. I thought living in community would be like that, but more intense, and surrounded by people who were all doing the same thing, which would make it easier.

As I approach the tenth anniversary of profession, I realize that it took me awhile to understand that the living in community itself was at the heart of the monastic experience. It’s the place where you are honed and being honed isn’t always comfortable. I learned that you can feel really drawn to the Rule of Benedict, that you can nurture your spirituality through Benedict’s wisdom and that you can adapt Benedictine principles to your way of life and your working situation, all of which is very worthwhile, but the full monastic experience, as envisaged by Benedict, is incomplete if you don’t live it out in community.

Living in community is a 24/7 commitment. I soon realized that although we are all seeking God, we don’t all start at the same point; we have different family and life experiences and different interests and different approaches to the world. In other words, we are all individuals. We wouldn’t necessarily choose the others to be our life-companions, yet we have to make things work. I believe it’s this endeavor to persevere and create a loving, monastic community, in the face of not-very-good odds, which is a primary witness to the Gospel value of loving our neighbors, whoever they are. We live in close proximity to one another, we have to make decisions about our future together, all in a context of trying to reconcile women who may be very different. Unlike in a marriage, where there is one other person, there are scores of us and we didn’t choose one another; God chose us.

We don’t always manage to do things in an ideal way. Living inside community means I had to let go of the notion that a monastery is a place of peace, where nothing ruffles the tranquility. I learned that the surface may be placid and exude calm when you pay a short visit, but underneath it’s a very real life where we have to deal with conflict and difference and accept that we are not always very good at it. I think, though, it’s the fact that we’re not always very good at it that makes it worthwhile. It’s a real challenge to have to live with others, to disagree and yet know that in order to fulfill our calling we somehow have to rise again, after every knock, and make it work.

 

Karen Rose, OSB                                                                          March 22, 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment