Friday, April 26, 2019

What's Wrong With Millenials?


What’s wrong with millennials? NOTHING! That’s what I think anyway.

The topic is on my mind because I was raised to paroxysms of anger recently when I read an article, presumably not written by a millennial, which took the line of how could they possibly turn out okay if older generations didn’t pass on their values and faith. Now, I have nothing against passing on faith and values, if they’re good ones. As a baby boomer myself, I know I exhibit certain baby boomer characteristics, like being confident in the rightness of my own opinions, so I tend think I have a lot of good ideas to share with people both older and younger than myself. What I really disliked about the tone of this article was the way it suggested that people of the writer’s generation had been entrusted with some blueprint of faith and morality and that all the rest of us would be lacking if they didn’t brainwash us into being exactly the same. It was millennials who came in for the full force her concern, but baby boomers and generation X-ers were also implicitly found wanting.

In response, I would like to say this: I work with a millennial who is one of the most sensitive, caring women I know. She and her generation-X parents seem to have managed quite well. I live next door to a college composed of nearly 2,000 millennials. I never cease to wonder at their sense of social justice, their concern for those who are marginalized by society and the stream of volunteer projects they undertake to make a difference. I recently read about a 15-year-old Muslim girl who has started to fast for peace and now has a whole group of people fasting with her. 

This is what I think. Age has nothing to do with goodness. There are wonderful seniors, baby boomers, generation X-ers and millennials, and there are nasty ones, too, in all those groups. Instead of trying to prove that whatever age group we are in is somehow better than the others, I believe people who want to live in a world that rates justice and integrity highly should seek one another out, regardless of age, because together we can make a better world for all generations and the generations to come.


Karen Rose, OSB                                                                    April 26, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment