Friday, February 22, 2019

It's Not About the Clothes


When I realized that I was called to monastic life, the last thing on my mind was the effect that would have on my wardrobe! That’s as it should be, so it came as quite a shock to me how strongly some people feel about what sisters wear.

I’ll give a little historical detail to begin with: When our founding sisters reached Central Minnesota in 1857, they wore a traditional habit with full veil. With few modifications, sisters wore that until the Second Vatican Council asked religious orders to go back to their roots, find the heart of their tradition and work on ways to express that authentically in the late 20th century. It was during this period that a decision was taken to allow sisters to experiment. Some retained their habit, some modified it and, eventually, some did as St. Benedict suggests in the Rule and began to wear clothing that is from the locality. Essentially, this meant they wore ordinary clothes. By the time I entered in 2007, most sisters had given up the habit and new entrants did not have the option of adopting it.

None of this was a big deal for me. I wanted to seek God. I didn’t (and don’t) care much what I wear while I’m doing that. I don’t think God cares either. God is more concerned with what is in our hearts than with our clothes. It has, therefore, quite shocked me that, at times, people will truly attack us for not wearing a habit, as if the clothes are the only thing count. It saddens me that kindness, love for God and our neighbor and a genuine desire to seek God seem to count for nothing against what we wear.
Having said that, I would be less than honest if I didn’t confess that what I wear is a definite part of my monastic journey and the search for God. I have always liked clothes. I had a mother who dressed well and liked clothes and a father who was never backward at complimenting my mother on how she looked. Clothes mattered in my family, but more in the sense of creating an attractive atmosphere in which to live, rather than being the thing that defined you.
When I came to the monastery, I was comfortable with my own style and, happily, I didn’t need to make much adjustment in what I wear. As a sister, you obviously have to be quite modest in dress. You don’t want to look as if you are trying to attract a mate but that doesn’t mean you have to look a frumpy mess all the time! I wasn’t required to alter my style especially but I’ve found over the years that I want to. Considering occasionally what does and doesn’t feel right to wear, and why, has become part of my monastic journey.

I think my endeavors are based on trying to simplify. Over the years, I’ve noticed that I wear fewer trinkets. At one time, I often used to wear a cross. Now I don’t. I wear my profession ring and earrings but I’m noticing that the earrings are getting smaller and less noticeable. At the same time, I find I can take pleasure in seeing someone else look dressed up. I don’t think there is anything wrong with it. I don’t have a desire to make everyone be the same. We are individuals, making our own way to God, and some of our uniqueness shows in our clothes choices. That’s fine!

Something that really pleases me is that I think clothing is an area where I have truly become less judgmental. Living with my sisters, who display a wide range of clothing preferences, I’ve realized that love, kindness and faith are not modified in any way by the clothes you choose. That’s really freeing. I feel called to simplify many parts of my life. I feel I need to cut away distractions and “extras” in many areas, including what I wear. I accept that others sisters may not feel that need in the same way, yet God loves each of us equally.

This is how I’d sum up the clothes quandary: My clothes choices can help me in my journey toward God, but the journey isn’t dictated by the clothes.


Karen Rose, OSB                                                 February 22, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment