Friday, February 15, 2019

Peace and Love: Part 2


“Never turn away when someone needs your love.” Rule of Benedict (Chapter 4)

There was a time in monastic life when sisters were very restricted as to how often they could visit their family, “particular friendships” within the monastery were discouraged (i.e., there were no BFFs) and sisters didn’t make friends outside the monastery. I wasn’t a sister at the time but, as I see it, there was a rationale there. It was the idea that by committing to religious life you gave up everything so that you could focus entirely on following Christ with no distractions.

However, sisters move with the times and there is a softer approach now which recognizes that, as humans, we need connections with other people; we need to love and be loved. How that’s lived out varies from monastery to monastery and how we live may look different from how it did in the past, but I think underlying our life and our approach to relationships is still the belief that Christ comes first and that expressions of love and care toward others are part of how we follow the Gospel and Benedictine path of loving.

How does that pan out in daily life? Well, we are encouraged to maintain family relationships and close friendships and it’s fine to have friends outside the monastery. However, I find that it’s quite complex to keep a balance here. For instance, major religious feasts call me to be with my community. What are we if we don’t celebrate Easter and Christmas together?  Yet it’s a real tug at the heart to be absent from people with whom I have lifelong connections and also to have to live with the knowledge that I spoiled other people’s Christmases by coming here. Yet, I truly want to be with my monastic community because these times are part of the cement that bonds us together as monastics and differentiate us from a group of women simply choosing to live together.

Another significant lesson I have learned is that there are some people, including sisters, you like and naturally feel drawn to and, actually, that’s okay. These people will be your friends, the people with whom you recreate. However, community doesn’t work if you focus solely one person. You have to be open to others and you have to care about each and every one, whether or not you see them as chums. You can be close, but you can’t be exclusive. I learned that you can’t choose who you like, but can choose to be generous with your love and at least try to include everyone.

This brings me to celibacy. Celibacy is included in the monastic promise of “fidelity to the monastic way of life.” I think this is probably something that each person handles differently. For me, the challenge is that it’s hard to give up that one-to-one relationship, the specialness of joining yourself with one other person. I love the theory of sharing my love equally with sisters, of channeling to the whole world the energy that would usually go into the one primary relationship, but it’s one of those things that sounds aspirational in theory and turns out to be very difficult in practice. I guess, though, that’s one of the points of monastic life: challenge yourself to be greater than you are, try to want what’s best for others and just keep going along the particular path you have chosen.

 

Karen Rose, OSB                                               February 8, 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment